Twig Adventures

PCT Day 1: Bring it on

July 6th, 2018

Harts Pass mm 2622 to mm 2633

Distance: 11 m

I was awake early despite a somewhat late night, but I slept well and felt ready to go. Jon arrived around 8 am and we were off for the long drive to Hart’s Pass and the trailhead. It went by quickly, with fantastic views of the mountains along the way. We saw a few backpackers on HWY 20 but they were hitching the other way.

We stopped in the tiny town of Mazama to check out the well provisioned general store and outfitter. There I saw a thru-hiker looking like he needed a ride up to the pass, so we offered one. Ratchet is on his 2nd PCT thru-hike and had already tried to get up to tag the border earlier in the week but was turned around by the snow. He came all the way back to town to get an ice axe. And here I was without an axe or microspikes, but I’d heard from many on the Facebook page that they weren’t needed anymore.

At Harts Pass, I said goodby to Jon but met a bunch more thru-hikers. I stashed my food cache at the ranger station and then a had a chat with the locals. A trail angel named Broken Toe was there with a hiker box full of food but I had plenty and didn’t take anything.

I set off at 1530, a bit later than I would have liked but ready to get some miles logged. The weather was perfect and the surroundings epic. It was so good to be back in the mountains.

As I walking, no fewer that 15 hikers passed me going SOBO. It felt almost crowded on the trail. I wondered if I would ever see any of them again.

Around 1830 I heard some thunder and it got dark real fast. Then it just started pouring and out came my umbrella. Well, that didn’t take long! My shoes were wet shortly after and I started feeling a little grumpy about not being able to make it even half a day with dry feet. Oh well, at least I’m used to it. Worse yet, it was looking like I was going to have to pitch my tent in the rain.

I walked several miles in the rain before finally finding a stream and then a campsite. There was one couple there but I had already figured on some company. I began setting up and at least the rain had subsided.

I was making a ton of rookie mistakes while trying to get settled. I’m rusty after 3 months off and the cold damp conditions didn’t help. Then as I was trying to filter my water, I couldn’t get any to pass through. The filter had been dry for several months and it takes time for the micro tubules to saturate and function properly. I was squeezing my water bag hard to force the water through when it just exploded…a giant hole opened up at the top seam. It’s funny that I had just completed a review singing praises for it’s duarbility and it fails on day 1. Classic. It sucks real hard to loose suck a key piece of gear but it’s not a show stopper.

More importantly, my filter appeared to be toast. I was able to squeeze enough water through for that night and hoped I could borrow someone else’s filter over the next few days. It looked as though I would need to make an unplanned stop back at Mazama to purchase a new filter.

At least I settled into a nice dry tent and slept well. It was a mixed bag for a beginning but it can’t always be perfect.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *